Hemorrhoids are caused by various reasons and can be medically cured, but there are few remedies that can be adopted by the patients themselves in order to prevent and cure the disease. The prevention is the first step for any disease and better than medication which prove the statement to be true “Prevention is better than cure”.
There are certain preventive measure and home remedies that are proved helpful in curing the hemorrhoids without medication. Following are some step that can be followed at home:
- Squatting position: The major cause of hemorrhoids is the irregular bowel movements resulting in excessive exertion on the sphincter muscles. The squatting position will exert more pressure on the anal muscles at the time of passing stool. The hard stool will exert more pressure with the squatting position, thus one should avoid long sitting in squat position. The sitting should include some elevation in the position, i.e. one can elevate their feet that will ease up the passage of stool.
- Soak in Sitz bath: The hemorrhoids are very painful when there is excessive swelling and stinging in the anal area. To minimize the frequency of pain and infection soaking in the bathtub is the best method. At the time of severe pain, the patient can sit in the warm water. The tub must be filled with warm water up to height of 12 inches with both the knees elevated for about 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a day. It is also preferred that a person should take sitz bath after every bowel movement. The warm water will help the hemorrhoids with the reduction in pain and swelling. For more pain reduction and better healing, healing or soothing agents can be added to the water like table salt, Epsom salt, calendula, chamomile, etc. After soaking person must dry the area gently using a soft towel.
- Hydrated body: The hemorrhoids are more painful if the person is having hard stool. The stool consistency is dependent upon the consumption of water. Water will help in reducing the straining as will make the stool softer. A person having diseased hemorrhoid must consume at least 8-10 glass of water per day. The excessive water intake is also helpful in weight loss which is considered as one of the major factor for the induction of hemorrhoids problems. Thus, water consumption is very essential.
- Ice packs: The hemorrhoids are due to some inflammation, that they are causing irritating and burning likes sensation. These lead to the swelling up of the region of rectum. The ice packs are considered as the best source for the reduction of swelling. The ice pack and warm sitz if followed alternatively, then there are more chances for quick healing of the hemorrhoids. It should be kept on the infected region for about 15 minutes. The cold will reduce the size of the hemorrhoids and generate a feeling of no sensation providing relaxation to the patient.
- Fiber diet: A diet is the most effective factor for hemorrhoids. A high fiber diet is a good source for effectively curing the hemorrhoids without medication. This type of diet will reduce the consistency of the fat. Food items like okra, cabbage, papaya, grapes, watermelon, legumes, whole grains, etc. It is recommended that a person should consume an amount of 20-30 gm of fiber per day.
- Weight reduction: The overweight of a person is a reason for the development of hemorrhoids because of the pressure exerted on the lower body. Thus, it is good to lose weight to reduce the development of hemorrhoids. The overweight condition will increase the inactivity and will result in the tightness of the stool and irregular bowel movements.
- Applying cream: In case of minor irritation one can use some creams that will provide soothing to the infected region of the anal canal. One can use creams which contain topical analgesic and hydrocortisone.
- Walking: Walking is not a treatment for hemorrhoids in direct manner. But it is a way of improving digestion and weight reduction. Walking will allow the loosening of internal muscles which results in proper bowel movements and soften the stool. This will result in less straining and exertion on the anal area. For better digestion the person must walk after every meal.
- Lubricate the process: The hemorrhoids are more influenced by the exertion caused during the defecation. Thus, one should consume something that will lubricate the consistency of the stool and allow its easy removal. For increasing the lubrication one can add this recipe to their diet- 1 table spoon mineral oil + applesauce or yoghurt. They can take it in lunch or breakfast.
- Immediate Defecation: The person having hemorrhoids must not hold the stool. As if someone will try to control the digestion they will have to face the problem. While holding the excretion the person has to exert pressure on their anal regions as well as on the abdomen. This controlling exertion will also increase the condition of constipation and will increase the infection. So, do not delay the defecation process.
- Keep the area clean: The anal region is the most delicate region at the time of infection even it is not an easy task to keep that area clean. But to avoid the worse condition of infection the anal region should be kept clean. A mild soap can be used to clean the surface of the skin. Soft soothing towelettes can be used.
- Witch Hazel: Witch Hazel is an astringent. This is directly be used for applying it on the anal area. There are supplementary items available in the market that contain witch hazel like tuck pads soaked in witch hazel, cotton balls, etc. applying this will reduce the pain and itching. Regular applying the witch hazel will reduce the contaminated area.
- Aloe vera: It is a natural lubricating and soothing agent. This will reduce the irritation, itching when directly applied on the infected area. Not only this, this aloe vera if ingested help in the curing of internal hemorrhoids. Taking 1 teaspoon of aloe vera daily in diet will soften the stool. Aloe vera based gels, creams and other products are also available in the market.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is considered as an effective remedy for reducing inflammation. Applying white or apple cider vinegar on hemorrhoids will reduce itching, inflammation, etc. For external hemorrhoids the person should apply apple cider vinegar directly on the infected are by a soft clean cotton ball. And for the internal hemorrhoids the person is advised to take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar several times a day.
- Exercise: The person who is suffering from hemorrhoids are generally obese or lack body movements. Due to lesser body movements the bowel movements are affected. These bowel movements will result in development of hemorrhoids. The exercise and workout will help in weight reduction as well as in regulating the digestive system.
- Change in diet: The person suffering from hemorrhoids are very much affected by the type of diet the patient is consuming. A person who want to cure his hemorrhoids must include high fiber food items, prunes or prunes juices, plenty of water, flaxseeds, leafy green vegetable, fruits, flavonoids, horse chestnut, calnedula etc. the person should exclude oily food, refined carbohydrate, etc.
- Hygiene: For a person having hemorrhoids is bound to maintain hygiene. As for the external hemorrhoids the person must maintain their hygiene. Avoid using toilet paper for better hygiene.
- Cayenne pepper: For the patient of hemorrhoids the intake of pepper is very bad. But the cayenne pepper is totally different thing. This pepper can be ingested as well as it can be applied on the infected area. To stop bleeding from the hemorrhoids this process can be used.
- Vitamin E capsule: For immediate relief from the pain of hemorrhoids people can use vitamin E capsule. The capsule can be placed at the anal opening and then be pricked so that vitamin will spread on the infected area and hydrate the hemorrhoids and in the reduction of their size.
- Psyllium seed husk: The fiber is good for the people having problem of hemorrhoids and the psyllium husk is considered as a good source for the fiber. The fiber will soften the stool and help in easy defecation. The psyllium consumption will be in a limited amount because excessive intake may result in gas and stomach cramping.
- Blend of essential oils: The oils are very effective in treating the hemorrhoids. These can be directly applied on the infected region and will reduce the size of hemorrhoids. Various type of oils can be used like natural oils including almond oil, rosemary oil and lavender oil. These oils will minimize the level of pain, itching and inflammation. Geranium oil in combination with almond oil can be used for the treatment of both type of hemorrhoids i.e. internal and external. Coconut oil can be used as it has antibacterial and antiseptic nature. Tea tree oil has excellent antimicrobial property; it will act as anti inflammatory agent. Tea tree oil can be used in two ways- one by direct applying on the anal region and other by adding this oil in the warm water prepared fro bathing.
- Comfortable clothing: Clothing is the basic requirement of an individual, but a person having any inflammation must wear comfortable clothing. The person having hemorrhoids must wear loose fitting clothes and the material of the cloth must be very soft. The person having hemorrhoids must change his undergarment regularly, after every bowel movement if bleeding is continuous.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is very helpful in regulating the bowel movements. Taking one glass warm water with a table spoon of olive oil and 10 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice will help in enhancing the functioning of digestive system. The lemon juice can directly be applied on the infected with cotton. Lemon juice with half cup milk can be taken every three hours for strengthening the blood vessels. A drink having equal ratios of lemon and honey can be taken twice a day to regulate the bowel movements.
- Wet wipes: Cleaning and drying the infected area is the prime method for curing the hemorrhoids, thus wipes are required. Hypoallergenic wipes can be used for easy drying of the anal region. Instead of toilet paper wet wipes can be used as they will not create any kind of scratchy sensation of the skin. But avoid using alcohol and perfumed wipes as they may cause irritation and discomfort.
- Rutin: It is extracted from various plants like citrus fruits, buckwheat, rhubarb and asparagus. They are generally employed for various medical treatments. They are commercially available in the form of pills. For hemorrhoids they will provide strengthening to the blood vessels, preventing them from inflammation and enlargement. For adults, 1000 mg per day consumption of rutin is advised.
- Epsom salt: Epsom salt is most commonly used as a soothing agent for the inflammation. This can be added to the warm water for bathing. Epsom salt in combination with glycerin in equal proportion and applied directly on the infected area with cotton pad.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are the supplements that will prevent constipation. These can be taken in the normal diet as their sources are fermented cheese, yogurt, sauerkraut, Korean kimchi, and kombucha tea. These sources will regulate the digestion by balancing the bacterial concentration in the gut.
These are some home remedies for hemorrhoids and its prevention that can be used easily by common people without any hassle. As they are including the implementation of natural products and byproducts, they can be used without hesitation as they will not cause any inflammation or create any side effect.